Friday, July 17, 2009

Squirrels, Coyotes, and Bears, Oh My!


You never know what you are going to see in the wildlife (as in fauna)department around here.
Not too long ago, there was a black bear residing in the I-5 median, minding his own business until wildlife officials decided to tranquilize the poor dude and move him into the mountains. Last week, I was being my usual worker-bee self in the Mission Office, when Elder Gemmell said, "Look, a raccoon!" to which I replied, "ya, whatever!" There really WAS a chubby raccoon in the tree outside my window. So, of course, I bolted out the door to see it up close and personal. This alarmed our little masked bandit, so he scooted a little further up the tree. I retreated and fetched some cherries from my desk. This proved to be too much temptation for our little friend so he inched down the tree trunk just far enough to snag the juicy red orb of sweetness off the tree trunk where I put it. He made the mistake of turning his back on me, and as I am a curious individual, I reached out and stroked his ringed tail. He shot up into the tree and looked at me like I had just committed a felony. But now I know what a raccoon feels like.
As for the coyote, he was outside our apartment, on the trail down to the creek.
I think he was eyeing my neighbors kitty cats. Oh, and I almost forgot about the 6 point buck that walked across the road by our office. Didn't even have turn signals (but he did have horns;) and the cougar at the body shop in Issaquah. So if you love critters like we do, this is the place to see 'em.

1 comment:

  1. You saw more critters in Seattle than we did in
    Alaska!! We saw one bear, a whale or two at quite a distance. It's amazing! Love,
    Lyneve

    ReplyDelete

denim